Thursday, April 7, 2011

Do you mind if I sit here, I'll be texting?

So I'm at the Direct to Consumer Conference (#dtcws) couple months ago and sat through a number of meetings and presentations. I enjoyed each of them and began to post information via twitter and tumblr. I could not help but notice that about 80% of the people in this conference were editorializing just like me and were busy posting information just like me. I took note of the #tag and began to follow the conversation. This lasted a good two hours before it was time for the lunch break.

Being the good school boy I am, I came back from lunch early and decided to change seats so I was closer to the exit - right, don't we all do that? Anyway, apparently there were a number of people who did the exact same thing. I found a seat just past a women three chairs in. Before sitting in the seat I asked, "do you mind if I sit there - I also plan to text while here so I hope that does not offend you?" She kindly smiled and said "no worries, I'm texting too". Cool, I proceeded to take my seat.

So I'm following the #dtcws conversation when all of a sudden the comment comes up "LOL, #dtcws best pickup line of the conference "Do you mind if I sit here, I'll be texting?". I see this and soon realized that the women who wrote that was sitting right next to me. I looked at her, showed her my iPhone and said "is this you?" She said yes with a smile then sheepishly proceeded to get up and leave.

There is no moral to this story other than, I wasn't looking to pickup on anyone, I just thought I was being polite. Second, careful what you say while using social media of any kind, you never know who the person next might be.
Cheers